The Duck Pond in Riverside Park Eyeing Fall Completion
In a recent press release, the City of Victoria tells us that the duck pond at Riverside Park is about 90% complete, with the retaining walls, the wooden walkway, and the new LED lighting installed. During the next couple of weeks, we’ll start filling the pond in preparation for the installation of the fishing pier. The last thing to be added will probably be the new gazebo, which will be located on a spacious overlook, providing a great view of the pond. The City of Victoria estimates that the duck pond will be fully complete in October.
The duck pond closed back in 2018 due to damage caused in part by Hurricane Harvey. Then it sat untouched for 4 years. Various factors contributed to the length of the closure, including the scope of the damage, grant regulations, and the effects of inflation on contract negotiations.
Take a look at the finalized product. We can't wait!
Come celebrate Park and Recreation Month in July with these fun events:
- Kickoff Party: July 1, 11 a.m.-12 p.m., at Ethel Lee Tracy Park. Featuring music, snow cones and food trucks.
- Summer Botanical Bash: July 8, 2-4 p.m., at the Children’s Park. We’ll be giving away plants donated by Renken’s Nursery.
- “The Sandlot” Drive-In Movie: July 14, 8 p.m., at Riverside Stadium.
- Green Thumbs Revival: July 15, 7-9 a.m., at the Dr. Pattie Dodson Public Health Center. Come grab some fresh produce and help maintain the community garden.
- Family Field Day: July 29, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., at the Riverside Park Special Events Area (near Riverside Stadium). Featuring games such as giant Hungry Hungry Hippos, dizzy bat races, giant ball pong, froggy ball, cornhole and kickball. There will be music and food trucks. To register, visit victoriatx.gov/registration.
- Kid’s Day Out: July 31, 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., at the Children’s Park. A day camp with hot dogs and activities. To register, visit victoriatx.gov/registration.
29 Images That Show Just How Much Victoria Has Changed